Solidariety 4 Flexal 2

Flexal II is one of the thousands poor neighbourhoods in Brasil. As in any other poor place around the world, most part of the population are illiterate. Still, for Flexal II, as for every other poor neighbourhood around the world, there is hope. Education alone won't change much. But to start a good fire, all we need is a spark.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

One okay - thousands to go!


And then it all comes down to this: God is constantly watching over us, whether we are aware of it, or not.
___________________________________________________

Yesterday Doug and I went to the paper depot to buy his school material. Unfortunately we could not savour the moment throughly - I had to run other errands and time was against us. However, it was all good.

He could not decide on anything, except a 400 pages notebook. I wonder how heavy that must feel for a 27kg, 12 y.o. boy. Other than that, I had to make all the choices. I tried to balance it by buying a sports pen holder here, a cool yet non-expensive set of pens here - I reckon I could have chosen just anything, and he'd be more than pleased.

I was so glad when the first thing he said after arriving back at the org was "it is a pity that aunt Isabel is not here to see my school things..." He pulls the right strings, I tell ya... He knows she will be proud and encourage him, as he earned every bit of it.

Plus, I don't know if I mentioned it before, nor have I enough time to check now, but we all know how fond children are with coins, so everyday Doug dropped by he earned himself a 0,50 BRL - the equivalent of 0,23 USD. So by the time we arrived at the depot, he had some cash of his own to buy whatever he wanted.

He picked a drawing book.

I was speechless. No fancy pen, nothing to make anyone else jealous, nothing to show off. A drawing book. I have no words to express my gratitude for this boy's character. May God allow him to grow wiser and wiser. A child, still. But what a child!
__________________________________________

Thank to all friends who helped with prayers, good thoughts and donations so Douglas could be in school. I could mention a few names, Oxaene, Roland, Igiko, and my best friend and counselour down under. All of them gave their best to make it happen, and I am so grateful for that.

__________________________________
This is just the beginning, God willing.
There is too much more to be done.

For all that, in Arabic, we say:
Alhamdulillah.
Praise be to God.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The story about the drawing book is priceless. Loved it. M.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous a friend said…

    Please people, if you can afford, give this great project a chance by any means- financial, material or spiritual support. And one thing you can do for sure: tell people you know about this.The widest known this blog is, the better are the chances for those kids to develop their great potential.

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Solidariety for Flexal II said…

    Thanks, M, thanks, friend :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home